PDA

View Full Version : Migrating to ModelManager from WorkManager

tom kirkman
10-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Has anyone migrated from WorkManger to ModelManager? Was it a complex process? Also, was it costly to migrate?

If it was costly and complex, did you find it worth the cost?

Thanks

Tom

MikeBoswell
10-17-2003, 07:34 AM
If we are going to discuss MM maybe a few more questions.

I have watched the demos and MM does appear tobe much more user friendly. I would imaging it translates into a shorter learning curve.

comments?

I have asked Cocreate if MM was the way to go.
They asked "are you willing to live with the reduced set of functionality and simple macro customizations for the new UI and ease of deployabilitiy? "
What kind of funtionality does MM lack?

Does anyone out there have a mixed environment where they use MM and DDM(WM) together?

How hard is it to pick up Java?

dszostak
10-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Hello Mike:

Did you talk to Support, a CoCreate consultant or a CoCreate Sales Rep about your question? We have internal documents that help explain to customers the exact same question you are asking. Please give me a ring if you would like to talk in detail.
970-267-8252.

David

tom kirkman
10-24-2003, 08:57 AM
I already talked to CoCreate. I would like to get some independant opinions of ModelManager. The price we were quoted to convert is astoundingly high. I want to know if it is really worth it.

dszostak
10-24-2003, 09:04 AM
Thanks for your reply Tom - I'm glad you're getting the info that you need. Just like my question to Mike... who did you get your info from? Support, a CoCreate consultant or a CoCreate Sales Rep?

tom kirkman
10-24-2003, 09:37 AM
We started with a sales rep and then when right to cocreate
support.

gmatelich
07-07-2010, 12:22 PM
For those that have made the move, I'm wondering what do you miss most about WorkManager?

What do you appreciate most about ModelManager, now that you're there?

mrstero
07-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Take a look at the market share numbers. There simply isn't enough license revenue being generated by Model Manager to justify investing the necessary R&D money so that it can catch up in a variety of areas vs. competitors.

There are some impressive features in MM, but administering it is very difficult to learn, in part because the admin tools have been allowed to fall into obsolescence (see "Classic Client" and how complex the custom.xml is and you'll see my point)

Also, consulting services for model manager are ridiculously high, in part because there are only a handful of people on the planet that know how to configure a system in a "best in class" way.

Try googling "CoCreate Model Manager Administration" vs. "SolidWorks PDMWorks Administration" and see how many hits you get. There are entire sites, blogs, etc. for the latter. Nothing for Model Manager...may a site or two in german.

The future of PDM for Cocreate is Windchill. It has to be. Leveraging the large install base of windchill is the only way that CoCreate will be able to compete with other pdm systems. Have you seen what SolidWorks/Dassault & siemens are doing in the area of PDM? Model Manager doesn't even have a true web portal anymore. (WebAccess hasn't been enhanced in years, and forget about trying to figure out how to configure or customize it yourself. )

alexniccoli
07-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Has anyone migrated from WorkManger to ModelManager? Was it a complex process? Also, was it costly to migrate?

If it was costly and complex, did you find it worth the cost?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom
We have 2 customers that migrated from WorkManager to ModelManager.
One from release 13 to release 15(30 seats).And one from release 13 to release 14(10 seats).

Quite complex(nearly 40 days of work,but depends of complexity of customizations).Because of Workmanager Customization must migrate to MM java customization,also because this customers had a Desktop Schema and not Data Management Schema so,for example POS(drawing Ballon) must be migrate from one table to another.

I think that Model Manager is a good Product Data Management Application so it worth the cost:
1.User interface is user freandly and so designers can improve productivity.
2.More integrated with last cad releases.Cad features are supported also in Model Manager (think at Inseparable Assemply of 17.00).

I think that Model Manager adds lot of features to WorkManager,mainly because is more integrated with CAD but loses something.
Depends how you use Work Manager but for example:
1.Model Manager don't manage WorkFlow(CSI has a module).
2.Workmanager has a Classification Window to manage lot of MASTERDATA Classes(We have done some similar)

Alessandro