PDA

View Full Version : Difference between align and move command

luigimilano
10-01-2003, 04:50 AM
Why allign operation between two or more faces on a part that contain a lot of machining hole is more difficult than move operation?

Thanks a lot

dorothea
10-01-2003, 06:07 AM
Hello,

What kind of answer do you expect? Do you have a special problem with specific data or do you only want to have a general explanation?

I would say that the complexity of operations depends on the kind of the geometry you are working with. Give me some details! I'll try to answer.

Dorothea

luigimilano
10-01-2003, 06:18 AM
The question is that: Is it normal that the align operation, that produce the same result of move command on a model that contain a lot of machining hole, is very much slow than move operation ?

I hope that you understand me sorry for my english

Best Regard
Thanks

dorothea
10-01-2003, 06:28 AM
Hello,

The align and the move command are completely different.
Align is used to change the geometry of a face to another one. You can for instance align a cylindrical face with a plane and the cylindrical face is changed to a planar face.
The move command 'just' moves an existing face in a certain direction. The idea is not to align it with any other surface. No other geometry has to be considered.

My explanation is very easy and doesn't give the correct picture of the commands. But I hope it makes clear that it is difficult to compare both commands. It might be possible that align is slower. As I said, this depends on the kind of geometry you are working with. In general spline surfaces are more expensive than planar surfaces. And align command has to work with 2 different kinds of geometry: the one you want to change and the one you want to align with.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.
Dorothea

luigimilano
10-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Dear dorothea

Your answer is very exaustive for me.

Thank-you
Luigi