PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Graphics Slow When Not Docked

John Scheffel
09-25-2003, 02:26 PM
I got a call from someone today who reported that Modeling 3D graphics are slow when her Omnibook 6000 laptop is not docked. When docked and using a monitor, it is much faster. I seem to remember something like this but can't remember where I saw it. I suspect it must be related to the difference in the graphics settings when the laptop is docked or undocked. Has anyone else seen something like this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

clausb
09-26-2003, 04:14 AM
The Omnibook 6000 graphics chipset does not accelerate 3D in all video resolutions. I'd suspect that in docked state, a different video resolution is used, which happens to be 3D-accelerated, while the non-docked configuration uses some other, slower video resolution. For example, check the color depth in both modes. If it's TrueColor in undocked state, try switching it down to 16-bit color depth.

However, as soon as the Omnibook 6000's 3D acceleration kicks in, some ugly bugs in its HW OpenGL driver might rear their heads. Which is why we never certified this system.

Claus