PDA

View Full Version : i have a problem with creating a micron part.

woklt
09-23-2003, 12:48 AM
can any 1 tell me the correct way to create a part with micron dimension??
i already create a part by 1.25e-06 diameter with 3 mm height.
after extrude, zoom to maximum, still can see the real shape.
Is it any way to change the accuracy??

rainerz
09-23-2003, 08:08 AM
OneSpaceDesigner's smallest accuracy value is 1.0e-6 mm. That means creating a part containing a cylinder of 1.25e-6mm is formally correct, but has high risk in modeling operations. Let's assume you split the "bottom" circle of the cylinder into 4 quarters by using split edge. You will get four vertices on the circle equally distributed, but unfortunately the distance of each vertex to his neighbors is smaller than 1.0e-6mm and therefore is detected as equal when doing a part check.

In general one can say that as soon as edges are shorter than 2 times the resolution, you are about to be in trouble, because in these cases edges have no inner points. Each point on the edge is closer than the resolution to the start or end vertex of the edge and is therefore identified as being equal to either the start or end vertex of the edge. Many solid modeling operations, however, base their decisions on inner points of edges.

The only thing I can recommend and I don't know if this is feasible in your case is that you are using meters as unit instead of mm, so to speak scale the part by a factor of 1000 while modeling.

By the way, what is the manufacturing process you are using to generate those small parts?

Regards

Rainer

woklt
09-23-2003, 05:32 PM
hi, what i gonna do is juz try to model the part with a lot of reflect surface (as in Pic attatch), then bring to other software for light reflect simulation.

actually i had already try the method as u suggested, but wat i can see when the time i zoom in, i means after scaled the part, it seems like nothing, so... if i wanna modify the part, it will be more difficult for me.

this manufacturing process will be using laser technologies.

regards

woklt