PDA

View Full Version : ME10 buglist (final)

Tom von Alten
09-03-2003, 07:52 AM
I'm wrapping things up in my current job, and may not be using OSDD (ME10) again for a while, if ever. FWIW, here's a collection of things that bugged me that might be of interest to others (or perhaps even CoCreate).

ME10 UI issues - buglist
Last update 2003-03-21

Why doesn't the part browser being on get saved with other layout changes?

I expect to be able to right-click parts in the browser and copy / then paste. I also expect to be able to select multiple parts.

Part browser steals typing focus away from command entry. Keystrokes are quietly dropped, until [Enter] changes what part is being edited and thereby gives notice that something was lost.

GUI menus are not keyboard traversable as with every other Windows program I use. Alt-F pulls down the File menu, and the up and down arrows work as expected, but the right arrow does not follow a cascading submenu; it switches to the next top-level menu. This means that the user MUST use the mouse to get at commands in cascades.

Too many of the frequently used commands are in 3 level cascades. Standard dimensions are in *4* level cascades - that forces too much precision mouse movement and risks RSI.

Rt click and "rename" in part browser renames the ACTIVE part rather than the part that is clicked on. Right click is all about context sensitivity, this is a bug/side effect.

After defining a move and selecting something to be moved, the old UI used to let me pick "two_pts" (for example) and move the same selected parts again; this is useful for fine positioning when multiple steps are needed to line things up. Don't know whether the current UI offers that, but most paths seem to be toward "start over with a new selection and move specification."

why do "WINDOW FIT" and "WINDOW LAST" have different endings? (I have to say "END" after the latter to get back to the pending command.) Modified my "Wl' macro to include the END, and verified that it returns me to interrupted commands correctly, so I don't have to care, until the command is repaired.

Rubber-band boxing depends on scale, oddly. With units = um, drawing scale 800, I don't get good feedback, often just a horizontal line instead of a rectangle.

Mapping of extended characters does not follow Windows standard. Editing text, alt-0181 gives a micron symbol, as expected, in the editor window. But the text in ME10 comes out as a degree symbol! This issue was raised a LONG time ago, version 8.x? 9.x?

The "UNDO" command is pitifully weak, after versions and versions of complaints about this. Ctrl-Z should undo most EVERYTHING, and it should be provided with configurable levels. There is no excuse at this point for an "UNDO" which SOMETIMES does one command's worth, and often is useless.

This new version still drops mouse clicks on occasion, leading to unexpected results when DELETE is still active while you think you've started a new command, etc. Doesn't seem to be quite as bad as v10.5 was, but the bug is still there.

The division between active and inactive parts is too strict sometimes. I want to trim one element to something in another part; no can do - it only recognizes same part elements for trimming. Why? Since it's probably nice to have this sometimes, it feels like it should be toggleable.

Since the new "advanced" selection is far from obvious, it should have a "help" button on it. The following don't work, and I don't understand why:

SELECT ALL [Execute]
SELECT YELLOW [Execute]
SELECT YELLOW CONFIRM [Execute]
SELECT YELLOW GEO CONFIRM [Execute]
SELECT YELLOW GEO [Ok]
SELECT GEO YELLOW CONFIRM [Execute]
SELECT YELLOW ALL [Execute]

Looking at Help's syntax diagram, they all should have. But the word "SELECT" beeps when it appears that I should be able to enter it. The Select dialog, incredibly, is actually an arbitrary command dialog, with syntax elements I can mix and match. Saying "YELLOW" does not *select* yellow, it sends that token to the command line, and (in the midst of a stretch command, e.g.) executes it, to change the color for new geometry.

The select function in v11.60 OSDD has me completely stumped. The "Advanced" pick produces a "Select" dialog box that appears to act as an arbitrary command processor, with a variety of buttons producing tokens from the syntax. I'm trying to select all the yellow geometry (or just everything yellow, same difference here) in the current part, in the middle of a STRETCH command. It beeps at everything I try, starting with the token SELECT.

Clipboard size should be in the "edit environment" dialog's tab for the clipboard.