PDA

View Full Version : ergonometrics - preventing carpal tunnel syndrome

Dave Halseth
09-02-2003, 11:34 AM
What recommendations do people have for an input device as an alternateive for a mouse? A recent change in my work environment has me on OSDM at least 40 hrs per wk and the tendons of my mouse clicking index finger are gettng inflamed. If I complain too loudly at work they may take me off OSDM and I would hate that as I really enjoy using OSDM. Does anyone use a space-ball? Is it compatible with OSDM? Is voice command an option? I could switch to left-handed mousing, but I would take a real productivity hit.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dave Halseth

stefano_ME30
09-02-2003, 01:09 PM
When I was junger (long time ago:) ) working with ME30, old HP CAD, it was very nice working with tablet. I wish they will enhanced it on OSD sometime.

Ciao

Stefano

Gary Brauch
09-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Dave,
From the CoCreate website under system requirements:

Input Devices
Standards PS/2 or USB mice
3Dconnexion Space Mouse devices with driver version 2.2.13 (OneSpace Designer 2002+ and later)
3Dconnexion Spaceball 2003/3003: Driver version 1.1.0 build 3
3Dconnexion Spaceball 4000: Driver version 2.2.13 (OneSpace Designer 2002+ and later)

Hope this helps,
Gary.

Jim McKim
09-02-2003, 04:02 PM
See my post in http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4582

Dave Halseth
09-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Gary. I followed the hot link from the CoCreate website to the Connexion website. The 2002, 3003 and 4000 models are obsolete, they are selling the SpaceMousePlus and the 5000 model. Any idea if or when the 5000 model would be approved by CoCreate? Do you suppose that I should assume that it is just a matter of time until it is approved? If anyone else has tried the 3DConnexion SpaceBall 5000 please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave Halseth

jkramer
09-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Hi,

At my job, we all use the Spaceball 4000 FLX, and everybody loves them. It takes a week or so to get used to it, but after that, you don't want to miss it anymore.
The biggest advantage of using a spaceball (or spacemouse) is that you take away the nastiest right hand movements, that is, "pumping" with your mouse while zooming out and in etc.
I noticed that these movements are the most painful ones when having some degree of RSI complaints.
We programmed the spaceball function button closest to the thumb with "set view center", which makes navigating with the spaceball very fast (we also use most of the other function buttons).
As for alternatives for the normal mouse, see my web page
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/Kramer.J/muis.htm
I was frustrated with the ergonomics of ordinary mice, and made 2 models myself :-)
If someone wants the SD-models of these mice, let me know.

Regards,
Jaap Kramer

tom kirkman
09-03-2003, 04:15 AM
Good posture cannot be stressed enough.

Sit straight in a comfortable chair. Most people when they slouch, tend to support themselves with their wrists or elbows. This is not good.

The mouse should be at elbow height.

Do not rest your wrist on a hard table or corners while using the mouse. If needed, a soft gel filled wrist rest can benifit. I find that this also massages the wrist while using the mouse.

Some suggest wresting your elbow on an arm rest, others suggest leaving your elbow hang at your side. I find an arm rest slightly above the mouse is most comfortable.

Keep your hand inline with your forearm, do not twist your hand to use the mouse
This will prevent "pinching" the nerves in your wrist.

Logitech also offers some tips.

http://www.logitech.com/pub/comfort/comfort-us.pdf

Hope this helps

Tom

clausb
09-03-2003, 04:24 AM
Just talked to our contact at 3Dconnexion. He says that their new products are compatible with the older ones, so they should work just fine. We haven't tested them in our lab yet, however.

Claus