PDA

View Full Version : How do you design and share information?

gmatelich
10-24-2002, 08:24 AM
How do you get the information of you design to the machinists, molders, and inspectors? Theoretically, parts could be made from the solid model only, but they also need tolerances, special processes, etc.

Jim McKim
10-24-2002, 08:53 AM
Depends on vendor and process. For plastic injection tooling, we start with OSD-M only, which the toolmaker usually translates to Pro-E, SolidWorks, whatever, then we follow-up with drawings made in Annotation that have critical dimensions, tolerances, and notes. For rapid prototyping, it's usually 3d iges or STL. For most other things, we make drawings in Annotation, then make both a DXF translation and a PDF to reliably capture both 2d geometry data and all the text, notes, symbols (particularly Y14.5 tolerances), etc. that don't always come across in the DXF. We'll send the DXF and PDF to the machinist or sheetmetal shop, along with a 3d iges if they can take it.
I didn't vote on your poll, because no one choice seemed to capture the above range of options. In other words, the electronic data transfer world is still a messy picture!

marcvonams
10-29-2002, 09:26 AM
When 2D data is robust, it's easiest to extrude and machine using partially copied workplanes to create and modify parts. Once a 3D model is complete, I do the majority of 2D work in annotator. To maintain the link with 3D I try to minimize additional notation done in ME10. The is often difficult in assembly drawings and exploded views. The majority of our suppliers who use CAD take our .mi format and run it through the .dxf or .dwg translator in ME10. For 3D translations, I've had the best results with STEP and SAT, less success with IGES. I look forward to the day a neutral format like STEP makes "art to part" a reality, but progress has recently slowed. My soapbox issue is the promotion of that neutral internet format, already addressed by cocreate with one space collaboration. It goes a long way to leapfrog many native format translation problems.

E-Buckner
11-05-2002, 09:12 AM
Usually from OSDm to Anno.

Then, if going out to a vendor, xlated to .dwg or dxf.

The translation of which leaves a lot to be desired...pesky propietary symbols and fonts usually end up giving us hassles.

Not to mention the ME10 dim styles, unusual block configurations, and mistranslated dimscales that are created in the xlation process.

Eric

gmatelich
11-22-2002, 08:39 AM
just posting a reply to keep the thread near the top of the list in a blatent ploy to garner more votes . . . :)

patrickb
12-11-2002, 11:06 PM
My methods vary greatly depending on type of fabrication, shop, etc.

However, there seem to be some trends.

Nobody uses OSD. Most shops are using ProE or SolidWorks. I usually translate 3D to STEP or ProE format. I have also found that some larger shops have estimators that don't have any CAD access. In this case I have to send completely dimensioned PDF files to the estimator as well as DXF to the machinists. I end up with five files for every part, (*.ami, *.dxf, *.pdf, *.pkg, *.stp). Most shops require just a DXF and STP file, which is much better.

regards, Patrick