PDA

View Full Version : Saving packages in Work Manager?

Steve
07-15-2003, 08:30 AM
I thought that perhaps I could save something into Work Manager as a package, and re-use it as a package, but I'm not sure that I can. Let me explain:

I have created an assembly. It is a vendor-created assembly made up of 3 components. But I do not want to have the 3 individual components inserted into Work Manager as unique documents - I only want the top level assembly, as purchased, put into the database as a document.

So I saved the assembly into Work Manager as a package. Works great - when searching the DB only the assembly shows up as an me_package - none of the components are in there.

But, if I use this package as a component in ANOTHER assembly, and save that assembly as 3D data, it seems to then push the component, once saved as a package, into the DB as individual components again! It assigns gobbly-gook type names to the "package" assembly and it's components, like "stiffener_A-BHDCRQ0R", etc.

Is there a way to use packages as components in assemblies and have them stay as packages?

Steve

Steve
07-18-2003, 05:22 AM
I guess not! :(

I looks like you cannot use Packages in an assembly and then save that top level assembly as 3D Data - it will blow the package components out as 3D data, too.

So next question:

Is there a way to change the work state of an assembly to "released" and have it release all of its components as well?

Steve

May Kung
07-18-2003, 09:09 AM
We use WM 5.11 and it's not possible to change all the child parts to Release state in one step. I have heard (but not confirmed) that Model Manager allows this capability, or that it will be a lot easier to do this.

dszostak
08-26-2003, 02:25 PM
May is correct in stating that with Model Manager you can multi-select items and release them with one operation if you have the correct user permissions.
Model Manager is Windows Look & Feel data management add-on to Designer Modeling. The ease of use of drag&drop, cut&paste and multi-select are a standard UI functionality.
If you are interested in learning more, please take visit to our website: Model Manager page (http://www.cocreate.com/products.cfm?ProdFamilyID=3&ProductID=24)
See the attached GIF Image - This is showing how you multi-select items in Model Manager and right-click to change the status from work to approved