PDA

View Full Version : sigsegv error

Jim McKim
07-01-2003, 03:28 PM
A number of users here have encountered segmentation violation errors (sigsegv), usually when trying to save models as a package, getting the error message "Action failed (save_package/signal/sigsegv)". Usually, the problem can be isolated to one part, and everything but that part can be saved, though today we had a case where nothing but one part could be saved. Other operations on the part may also produce an error, which will have "/sigsegv" as the last part of the message string. The part checker always shows no faults found. The part may not even have been modified in that particular session. I have submitted this problem to Support, but it is difficult for them to do anything since the culprit can't be saved, and there probably isn't anything wrong with the part itself. The problem, as I understand it, is a memory segmentaton issue, not a modeling problem. We are running OSD 11.60B on Win2000.
I encourage anyone else encountering this problem to notify Support and provide as much information as you can regarding OSD version, OS, hardware, etc. I would really like to see this problem fixed, as it can be a real productivity killer.

May Kung
07-01-2003, 04:41 PM
I've seen sigsegv errors that occur randomly. By that, I mean I haven't been able to detect a pattern of keystrokes or actions to trigger the problem, though it mainly happens when using Select Window with the Move Elements command in Annotation. Not using Select Window for a while (can be five minutes or half an hour) seems to make the problem disappear.

rbrennen
07-08-2003, 10:23 AM
I have also had this same problem. Mine was first a sigsegv error when trying to same a session file. I then tried to save in the package and bundle file formats and failed with the same error but with different commands named as failing. I finally had to delete all my parts, save the session and revert to my previously saved .pkg file. Luckily, I am backup and "save" paranoid so I haven't lost too much data when this has happened!

I'll document it next time.