PDA

View Full Version : Right Click Translation to 2D DXF, DWG and IGES

John Scheffel
05-29-2003, 01:27 PM
People who use Annotation rather than Drafting might find this thread (http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4598) in the Drafting forum of interest. There is one problem with using this method on multisheet Annotation drawing files. All the sheets will be overlaid in the translated file unless "Arrange Sheets" was used to save the drawing. The only other option is to save each sheet as a separate MI file, which is as much work as saving each sheet as a separate DXF file.

May Kung
05-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Is Arrange Sheets part of Drafting or Annotation? We work exclusively in Annotation drawings for our released prints. Currently, our document control group manually saves out each sheet as a DXF file. This might be just what we needed.

John Scheffel
06-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by May Kung
Is Arrange Sheets part of Drafting or Annotation?
Arrange Sheets is a goody. You can load it using one of the following commands:

(load "am_arr_sheets") ; for Windows
(load "goodies/am_arr_sheets") ; for HP-UX

After loading the goody, you must run it from the Toolbox before saving the drawing. The resulting saved drawing will have all the sheets lined up in a horizonatal line rather than overlaid on top of each other. This may or may not be the effect you want, but this is what it does. If you have a lot of sheets it is a very long line. If you translate to DXF it will look similar to how it looks in Drafting.

One problem is that the user must remember to run the goody before saving, it will not automatically arrange the sheets just because the goody has been loaded. To make it more obvious, we created an available command named "Save Drawing With Arranged Sheets" which can be added to menus or toolbars. Here is the code we added to the am_avail_cmds.cmd file.

("Save Drawing With Arranged Sheets"
:title "Save Drawing With Arranged Sheets"
:action (UI:UIC-AM-ACTION "am_arrange_sheets am_store_drawing :filename")
:description "Save drawing with sheets arranged (no overlap) for ME10"
:ui-behavior :default)

May Kung
06-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the information, John. I tried the goody and for some odd reason, views end up "off" their parent frames. Really weird. I suspect it must be something to do with the global coordinates of the frame, but am unsure how to fix this.

John Scheffel
06-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by May Kung
I tried the goody and for some odd reason, views end up "off" their parent frames. Really weird. I suspect it must be something to do with the global coordinates of the frame, but am unsure how to fix this.
It works with our Frames. They were created in ME10, so I'm not sure how this tranlates to creating them in Annotation. The lower left corner of all our frames are at coordinate 0,0 in ME10. We also set the reference point of the top level part to point 0,0 (look in the Parts menu). I'm not sure which of these is important for Arrange Sheet, but it seems to work if both conditions are met.