PDA

View Full Version : 3 button optical mouse (no scroll-wheel)

jesm
05-23-2003, 05:10 AM
For OSDM a 3-button mouse is required. All optical mice I know of have a scroll-wheel which can also be used as middle mouse button, but is not very convenient clicking on. Who knows of a 3-button optical mouse (without scroll)?

robban
05-23-2003, 05:44 AM
I use a Logitech Mause-Man optical, and it has a thumb-button that can be programmed as middle-button, works very well.
I also use a program called NCG-clicker where I have programmed the middle button as double click, so in SD it’s middle-button in Windows it’s double-click!

http://www.21st-century.net/Pub/Drivers/Mouse/clckr.html

Robban
:)

John Scheffel
05-23-2003, 08:41 AM
A 3 button mouse isn't actually required. With most 2 button mice, you can press the right and left buttons simultaneously to get whatever function a middle button would do.

It seems that a 3 button mouse without a scroll wheel is becoming extinct. I did a quick check at Amazon and couldn't find one optical mouse with 3 regular buttons. Personally I like the scroll wheel and don't have any problem using it as a button, but I could understand why someone might prefer a regular button.

One nice feature of the scroll button in Modeling is that you can roll it to zoom the 3D viewport in and out without pressing any keyboard keys. In Drafting it scrolls through the list of previous commands, which is kind of odd. In Annotation it doesn't do anything unless you click in the command line, then it also scrolls previous commands. This is another example where some consistency in the UI would be a nice enhancement, why not have it zoom the viewport in/out in all CoCreate applications. After all, it is supposed to be a "suite" now. :D

Jim McKim
05-28-2003, 10:44 AM
I use a Micro Innovations 4D+ Scrolling Mouse that has three buttons PLUS a scroll wheel (two of them, actually), and a thumb button. Without doing anything special, it was a direct swap-out for the Logitech mouse I had before, but I'm using only one of the scroll wheels, and not the thumb button. Several users here like it because of the light touch to the buttons, which has helped with our carpal tunnel syndrome problems. Got the mice about a year ago or so at Fry's - don't know if they are still available.
-Jim

Jim McKim
05-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Oops, I missed the part about "optical". The 4D+ is a cord type. Still, with the light touch, I'll take it over the optical ones I've seen.