PDA

View Full Version : Ram, Virtual Memory, Temp File

jwilson
04-23-2003, 02:06 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH FILE SETS THE AVAILABLE SYSTEM RAM AND VIRTUAL MEMORY FOR SOLID DESIGNER AND ANNOTATOR. FOR SOME REASON OUR SYSTEM WHEN RUNNING SOLID DESIGNER OR ANNOTATION WITH LARGE MODELS USES UP ALL THE RAM, THEN CRASHES BECAUSE IT CAN NOT FIND THE TEMP FILE FOR FILE SWAPPING......THANKS JEFF

clausb
04-23-2003, 11:42 PM
First, please stop shouting.

Second, this belongs into the Modeling forum.

Third, depending on the version of OSDM which you are using, the pesd_customize file might contain a command called "memory-limit" which can be use to limit the amount of memory which OSDM requests from the operating system (i.e. it is a way to tell OSDM not to monopolize the system). Maybe there's something wrong with it.

Fourth, if your system crashes because of swapping problems, then it is not a problem in OneSpace Designer, but in your system configuration.

Fifth, I don't think your diagnosis can be entirely correct. If your system "can not find the temp file for file swapping" at all, i.e. the pagefile, it wouldn't even boot up.

Sixth, it would help to have better information: Operating system, version of OSDM, RAM in the system, size of pagefile etc etc.

Claus

ChrisE
04-24-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by jwilson
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH FILE SETS THE AVAILABLE SYSTEM RAM AND VIRTUAL MEMORY FOR SOLID DESIGNER AND ANNOTATOR. FOR SOME REASON OUR SYSTEM WHEN RUNNING SOLID DESIGNER OR ANNOTATION WITH LARGE MODELS USES UP ALL THE RAM, THEN CRASHES BECAUSE IT CAN NOT FIND THE TEMP FILE FOR FILE SWAPPING......THANKS JEFF

You may use the command
(uic-show-memory-usage)
to check your current SD memory settings.

And this should definitely go into the MODELING forum :D

jwilson
04-24-2003, 05:18 AM
We are using Windows 2000 w/AMD 2000 processor, 3 gig ram, 40 gig Western Digital ide hard drive. Our system page file is set to 4095. I have tried all the settings in Solid Designer configuration file for the ram and virtual memory settings but the result is always the same. We ran tests to locate the amount of memory Solid Designer and Annotator is actually using and it told us it is using 1.2 gig of ram and 1.2 gig of virtual memory when it crashes. We have repeated this same test on other computers and the result is always the same, regardless of the amount of system ram or page file size. We are using Solid Designer version 9.1.0.15.

stefano_ME30
05-02-2003, 02:23 AM
hi Claus

I'm moving from a HP-UX (j5000 10.20) to Win (dell 650 win2k pro) workstation.

On both I have 2Gigs of fisical memory.

Now I know that on HP-UX I was using really close to the fisical memory limit (2gigs of model), now on Win it seems to me like I cant load more than 1.3 gigs model size.

Is it the real limit (so .7 gigs are for all of these stuffs staks ecc..) or I have some wrong on my win2k?

ciao

Stefano

clausb
05-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by stefano_ME30
Now I know that on HP-UX I was using really close to the fisical memory limit (2gigs of model), now on Win it seems to me like I cant load more than 1.3 gigs model size.

Is it the real limit (so .7 gigs are for all of these stuffs staks ecc..) or I have some wrong on my win2k?

ciao

Stefano

Stefano,

by default, both operating system assign a maximum of 2 GB virtual address space to OSDM as we ship it. However, shared libraries are mapped into this 2 GB address space under Windows while HP-UX can at least partially map them into the remaining 2 GB. So under HP-UX, you will usually get a little more memory space for data.

Without knowing the exact situation on your PC, I can think of several ways to address the issue:

Upgrade to Windows XP Professional; XP can assign up to 3 GB of virtual address space to applications. (This requires special configuration in boot.ini. Let me know if you need details.)
Run OSDM with a minimum set of activated modules. For instance, run it without Personal Collaboration, disable SheetMetal etc. etc.
Maybe there is something wrong with the configured pagefile size. Can you provide details on RAM and pagefile size?
Uninstall/disable system components which are not really needed, but consume virtual address space.

The last item requires some careful examination of the memory situation on the system in question. Which version of OSDM are you using on the Windows system?

Claus

stefano_ME30
05-13-2003, 06:51 AM
Hi Claus

I posted the conf file made from bench program.

I hope it works.

Ciao

Stefano

clausb
05-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Stefano,

thanks for the config data. Didn't find anything that is strikingly incorrect, so to find out details, more debugging/logging is necessary.

OSDM (starting from release 2002+/11.5) can generate detailled memory map output. This output shows exactly which areas of the memory are allocated for which components; it requires an expert to interpret it, but can sometimes give valuable hints. If you're using 2002+/11.5 or later, you can generate the memory map log so that I can have a look.

Here's how you generate the memory map:

Set the environment variable SDDEBUGOUTPUT to the value FILE=c:\map.log. See the attached image for an example. Yes, the syntax is braindead, I know, and I can say it candidly because I invented it myself .-(
Start OSDM. Enter the following command into the OSDM command line: (f2::memory-map)
This will dump a memory map into map.log..
Load a model or do whatever is necessary to force OSDM into an "out of memory" state on your system. Now enter (f2::memory-map) again.
Exit OSDM.
Send me the map.log file

Claus

stefano_ME30
08-19-2003, 02:51 AM
Hi claus

I'm sorry for late, now I have some day of relaxing job time (all gone for holiday :) ).
I tried to load the large assembly and you can see attached map file (I renamed it map.txt due it was impossible to attach .log extension).
The assembly was loaded without problem on HP-UX workstation
10.20 release (2 gigas of system memory space).

I hope it helps

Stefano

clausb
08-19-2003, 03:28 AM
From the map file, I noticed that approx. 100 MB are free at the end of the address space. I've got a hunch that maybe in your case the automatic memory-limit setting is too conservative. What does (uic-show-memory-usage) return?

Tnx,

Claus

stefano_ME30
08-20-2003, 07:32 AM
hi Claus

attached is the report of (uic-show-memory-usage) returned.
I got it twice, befor to load the assembly and after the error message.

ciao

Stefano

clausb
08-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Try setting memory-limit manually before running the test:

(memory-limit :data 2048)

Claus

stefano_ME30
08-21-2003, 03:14 AM
hi Claus

I got the same error message and here is the memory reports

thxs for your helping

Stefano

stefano_ME30
08-21-2003, 04:04 AM
Claus

after this last I loaded the assembly on the HP-UX ws and asked for memory usage command this is the reply:

Memoria Utilizzata: 1328 MB
Memoria Disponibile: 2657 MB
Memoria Limite: 3985 MB

So I was wondering on this so hight memory limit (HP-UX 10.20 can't drive more then 2 gigs).

Anyway I tried this setting on pc, it shows different message that I can't report because it was fast closing (I think it was a memory error from the system).

After I setted (memory-limit :data 2500) and it works!!

I attached the last memory report, if you want it I can try some different setting.

Right now I enjoy that it works!!

ciao and thanks again

Stefano

P.S.:I chose this limit because it is the my phisical memory (2 gigs) plus my swap area (500 megs), I dont know what it means but it was :)

stefano_ME30
08-21-2003, 06:54 AM
I'm sorry but it worked once and no more.
Now every time I load the assembly I have the same memory error message.
I attached the dump of the page with task manager tolding me that no more of 1.6 gig was loaded when OSD told me memory limit holded.
I will try some others.

ciao

Stefano

clausb
08-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Specifying a memory-limit beyond 2048 MB doesn't make sense on systems which limit the virtual address space for applications to 2 GB, such as plain vanilla Windows NT, 2000 and XP. On Windows, use the /3GB option in boot.ini to switch the OS into 3 GB mode (only available in Windows NT/2000 server versions, and in Windows XP Professional and Windows 2003 Server).

Of the 2 GB virtual address space, some cannot be used for model data because it holds code, static data and system DLLs. That is why on a real system, you will never be able to really load more than, say, 1.8 GB of data. This effect is slightly less pronounced on HP-UX, but also noticeable. So it may well be that the HP-UX code just barely managed to load your model, but the Windows version fails because of a few missing MB.

Claus

stefano_ME30
08-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi Claus

thx for your reply and I agree on this issue, but something is not clear to me.
After loaded assembly I saw task manager tolding me that no more of 1650 megs of memory was used in total of things running.
So it seems to like I had close to 350megs unused memory when error message came.
Why I can't use this part of memory that the system is telling free?
Or if this memory is not free why the system is telling me so?
I agree with you that probably we can't load more of 1.8 gig of data, but it seems to me it was only 1.3, what is wrong in my thinking?

sorry for my insisting, but I have dogs following me for this!
:)

ciao

stefano

P.S.:I want to try this XP pro setting, but one asks, do I have 3Gigs of memory stiks installed or culd be enoug to have more swap area for to test it?

clausb
08-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Stefano,

all I can say is that deciphering the task manager's output is a science for itself. First thing to know is that you should NOT look at the "Mem Usage" column in the task manager because it doesn't really tell you a lot about the real virtual memory requirements of an application; instead, use View/Select Columns to enable "Virtual Memory Size".

To try out the /3GB option, you do not have to have 3 GB or real memory. We're running several machines here in this mode with 2 GB real RAM plus swap space, for instance.

Claus

stefano_ME30
08-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Hi Claus

your reply made me feeling better!

I loaded the assembly on fresh booted pc with light things up.
the memory limit was 2024 and it runs.
Attached is a pic of the memory usage column, I hope it could interest you.
Now I'm moving on XP pro and I will try new setting.
I hope don't ask you to much, but what is the boot setting that I have to switch?

thx

stefano

P.S.:don't beat me!

clausb
08-22-2003, 12:53 AM
For full information about the /3Gb switch, see the Microsoft support articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q171/7/93.asp&NoWebContent=1
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/server/pae/PAEmem.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319043

Claus