PDA

View Full Version : renaming 3D Data files with drawings?

Steve
04-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Question:

I have built a prototype assembly, and saved it and its components as 3D data with bogus names (case, cover, screw, connector, etc.). I have also made drawings for the assembly and components, and saved them as .mi drawing files also with bogus names.

When I get production part numbers, I will want to change the names of the 3D Data and .mi drawing files to be the part numbers.

How do I do this and still maintain associativity between the assembly (so it can find its components after they are re-named) and the drawings (so they can find the geometry/view sets they need)?

Steve

Wolfgang
04-22-2003, 10:29 AM
I would recommend the following way:

load (template) 3D data in normal way.
make a copy of your assembly (not share!)
delete the original of the copy
load (template) drawing in normal way (it will be "red" in dwg browser)
use Attach Drawing to True Copy
now model and drawing fit togehter again
do your part renaming stuff
continue with save etc. as usual

I would not recommend to do a file name rename for 3D Data file.
If you like to do some batch job things (like rename files by pattern) I think it's better to create an on-the-fly a LISP file by such a job (with all these rename stuff in) and then load that one into OSD.

ChrisE
04-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Steve, are you (hopefully - as everyone using a 3D system should) using a PDM system, e.g. WorkManager ?
If so, then you could simply use the MODIFY function to rename your SD documents in WM; and upon loading such a renamed assembly, rename the parts inside SD (using some LISP code)

Steve
04-23-2003, 07:43 AM
We use WorkManager here, but we only put things into Work Manager once they are ready to be released. All prototype work is done on the local/network file system.

Steve