PDA

View Full Version : Angular dimensions to theoretical horizontal/vertical?

Steve
04-18-2003, 08:30 AM
How does one put an angular dimension on an entity relative to a theoretical horizontal or vertical in Annotation?

In other words, I have geometry to pick on for the angled surface, but nothing conveinient to pick for the vertical reference.

In Unigraphics, you can dimension to a theoretical. Can I do this in Annotation?

Steve

Wolfgang
04-20-2003, 10:18 AM
no way. you need the 2nd element inside the view.. so: workaround is a manually line at view level (may be with color black)

fteixeira
04-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Placing an angle dimension / call-out is easy.

To be accurate, I generally put a projected ref point (under the Dimension menu) if the there is a corner radius or chamfer.

Next, under the Geomety-Construction menu, catch the projected point and lay in a vertical or horizontal construction line.

Now, use the Geometry-straight 2-po command to place a line on the construction line you just created. This line is like a small extension line for your dimension.

Finally, place your angular dimension by clicking your geometry and the line you just placed. I generally delete the construction line to keep things clean.

One word of caution: While the projected ref point will update, the geometry line will not. You must change this line if you make changes to the geometry.

Steve
04-21-2003, 03:23 PM
You have to fake it in with non-associative 2D geometry on the drawing.

:rolleyes:

Steve

fteixeira
04-21-2003, 05:55 PM
That's right, Steve.

It would be nice to have every last entity associative, but I find that if I make significant changes to my models, I have to go back and reattach a few dimensions, move text around, etc... so it's not too bad.