PDA

View Full Version : How to copy a sheet in Annotator?

fteixeira
04-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I have a bundle file with sheet "1" that is fully dimensioned, annotated, etc. I would like to make an exact copy of that sheet (view-sets, views, dimensions, annotations, title-block, etc.) and make is sheet "2". So, I would then have two sheets in my bundle file which are exactly the same (except maybe the "sheet 1 or 2" and "sheet 2 or 2")

Is there a relatively painless way to do this? I've looked at "Attach Drawing- To True Copy" and "Attach Drawing- To Variant" under the Drawing menu, but these tools don't seem to do what I want.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Regards.

Wolfgang
04-02-2003, 10:57 AM
You can export sheet "1" (save sheet) and import it again, which will lead to sheet number 2. BUT: all the views in sheet 2 will get 'red' because they will not find an owner in 3D (the viewset is already occupied by the views on still existing sheet 1. -- you can not have 2 2D views (in annotation) and only one "view" in 3D (those special workplanes).

A view update will only work for the views on sheet 1. May be it's enough for your purpose.

fteixeira
04-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Wolfgang,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually did exactly what you said. I was able to import the sheet as sheet "2". Furthermore, the views were NOT attached to a 3D (again, just like you said).

However, I worked around the problem by generating "temporary" views that corresponed to my orphaned views in the newly imported sheet. For example, if I had view front1 already, I would generate front2... etc. This is great, but my dimensions and annotations are still on the orphaned views.

Using the Migr Tools, I detached the "temporary" views and reattached my orphaned views in the imported sheet. This now links the views in the imported sheet to actual 3D, along with all my annotations and dimensions.

This seems complicated, but its not (just a little tedious). If you have a sheet in a drawing that you've spent a lot of time on and is perfect, you can use this method to generate a similar drawing that is still fully associative and contains all of your original dimensions and annotations.

It worked perfectly for me.

Wolfgang
04-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Great to hear that you find a way to do what you want to.
To speed up your work a little:

if you create the "temporary" views in a new drawing and then throw away that drawing you can spare the migration "temporary" views -> sketch. disadvantage: you have to reload your orginally drawing. At least an alternative.
(not sure:) after import of sheet 1->2 try to rename the orphaned views to the new name already in use in 3D.. then you can the 'attach by name' approach..

just for interest: do you create a new view set for the "temporary" views or adding views to the originally view set?
Your are looking for a "copy view" which is a known enhancement.

fteixeira
04-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Wollfgang, Thanks for your feedback.

A "copy view" tool would definitely make things easier. I don't see anyway to directly copy a view in Annotator. If there is some sort of unsupported function or a "goody" I'd love to know about it.

To answer your question about viewsets: I did put all the views in the same view set. Those "temporary views" were all generated under the original viewset I was using. It didn't have to be this way, but it made my bookkeeping a little simpler.

I will have to try some of your other suggestions.