PDA

View Full Version : Saving/Restoring Drafting Defaults?

Steve
04-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Hi!

I can't believe something so simple is so complicated, but I can't seem to get it to work. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have gone into Dimensions and set all of my text, arrow and line, and global settings the way I want them. When I create dimensions, they look fine.

I then went under Save, and saved out Dimension Fixes, Dimension Tolerances, and Dimension Standards files (.dms, .tol, .fix) files.

When I exit Annotation and come back in, I then load up my 3 Dimension files (above). Yet the standards are not the same as they were before?

How do I set, save, and load my drafting preferences?

Steve

John Scheffel
04-02-2003, 08:45 AM
You might want to avoid use of the word "drafting" when posting about Annotation. Since ME10 has been "ReMarketingNamed" to Drafting it may confuse people. When I first saw the title of your post, I wondered why it was in the Annotation forum. I had to read it a couple times to be sure the question was about Annotation settings and not Drafting/ME10 settings.

You might find the information in the Dimensions Style thread (http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2363) helpful.

I agree that this should not be so difficult or confusing. We have complained to CoCreate in the past about the inconsistency of how settings are saved and restored. Version 12 will supposedly contain a lot of changes in this area, so maybe it will make dimension settings simpler.

Jim McKim
04-02-2003, 01:35 PM
I agree, Steve, that creating, saving, and recalling dimensioning standards can be a pain, but it is possible! If you follow the information in the Help file carefully, it will work. Did for me, anyway. It's a three step process:
1. Create a named standard: Make all the settings the way you want them, then go to Dimension/Settings/Dim Global Settings, type in a new name in the Standard box and click Put All and say Yes or OK to the question that comes up. Now if you click on Standard you should see your new standard in the table (list). You can have more than one standard - for example, we have an inch standard and a metric standard.
2. Now, in the window with the table, there is a Save button. Save the standards(s) in a file with a .dms extension.
3. The next time you start Annotation, you can go to Dimension/Settings/Dim Global Settings (only after starting or loading a drawing), click on Standard, click on Load and load the .dms file you saved, select the standard you want from the table and hit Apply. The settings you saved should now be in effect.
4. You can make the .dms file load automatically upon Annotation startup, and one of the standards in the file be the default, but first do #3 above to make sure everything works manually. To have it load automatically, you need to put a line in your am_customize file: (am_load_dim_table "yourfilename.dms") To select the desired standard (even if it is the only one in the file), add the line (am_dim_set_style :dim_name "yourstandardname") :D