PDA

View Full Version : Units bug for minimum edge

Tom von Alten
03-28-2003, 10:09 AM
The minimum edge setting (Edit/Settings/System settings/min Edge) seems to use different units than the current setting. I'd think it would be easy to figure out the offset or conversion factor, but I can't.

I'm working on MEMS stuff, with units set to microns. I would expect to be able to set the min Edge to 0.1 (for example) and have only edges smaller than 100nm flagged, but it doesn't work that way. I worked my way down in powers of 10 from 0.1 to 0.000001 (1E-6) and at each setting, I still got errors for 150nm edges.

Is the setting fixed in... millimeters? Meters?

Anything smaller than 1E-6 is interperted as 0. Ok, what the heck, let's try zero for the system setting. The "Check part" dialog shows that setting (grayed out, until the "labels" box is checked), and still complains about the same small edges.

Seems to be a bug wrapped in a mystery.

Jim McKim
04-15-2003, 02:54 PM
Tom:
I tried switching from mm to cm and m and microns and inches and in all cases the default value in the Check Part command adjusted appropriately and automatically, and when I put in a value that detected a certain number of short edges on my test part, the adjusted value always detected the same number of short edges in the various units. This is in OSD v11.6. So, from what I see, this function (Check Part) is working correctly.
So then I set my units to microns and tried setting the minimum edge setting through the Edit menu like you did, and saw that the value did not reflect my current units. Appears to be stuck in mm. Same goes for geometric resolution in the part settings menu, but at least there it says "mm" after the value.
Seems like what you're seeing is A) a bug like I'm seeing, and maybe B) an inability to check for edges shorter than some value, which may be related to geometric resolution.
Have you submitted this to CoCreate Support?
-Jim