PDA

View Full Version : Need Help tranlating STEP file

Bob Zajeski
10-20-2002, 06:34 AM
I have a 137Mb STEP file that I would like to import into Designer and output an STL file. I run out of memory during the import. Does anybody have "more power" that can do this for me? Thanks!

pcushion
10-21-2002, 04:07 AM
Bob,

Did you increase the Virtual Memory in SD?
I usually set mine to 788Mb.
Try that.

Paul.
++++

PS: I still prefer the email listing but I will give this a try.

Bob Zajeski
10-21-2002, 05:01 AM
Mine'ss set to 789...this is a big file....

pcushion
10-21-2002, 05:05 AM
Wow.

Then I'm stumped.

Sorry.

Gary Brauch
10-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Bob,
If you open a support call with us, we can give it a try for you.
Regards,
Gary.

jbruce
10-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Bob

Can you put the file on an ftp site so that I can get to it? If so I will give the convert a try. We have new HPUX machines with 2GB of ram, but I have never done any STEP files over about 50MB.

Let me know what you think.

John

Bob Zajeski
10-21-2002, 05:44 PM
Here's the linkto download the file: www.zetaeng.com/download.htm

Let me know when you've downloaded it....my provider doesn't like that large of a file on the site. Thanks!

jbruce
10-22-2002, 06:37 AM
Bob

I have just finished downloading the file , so you can go ahead and get it off the server.

It looks like I will have time yet today to give the conversion a try, if not tomorrow for sure.

John

Bob Zajeski
10-22-2002, 06:58 AM
Thanks!

jbruce
10-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Bob

I attempted the translation once with the default (see below) options settings and I got quite a few messages about knife-edges and the like, and NO geometry.

Connect - ON
Check Part - ON
Show Log - OFF
Resolution = Automatic

SO

I tried it with these option settings:
Connect - OFF
Check Part - OFF
Show Log - OFF
Resolution = Automatic

SUCCESS! (But remember that they are not checked)

BOY-O-BOY - this thing has so many parts that when I opened the part browser I got and error message that said there were too many entries to display in the browser, but it looks like the model is complete.

I saved it out as a pkg file and as 3D Data (*.sd*).

I ran ll | wc on the dir with the sd files, and the file count is 5692 - there are only 3 assy files in that count - the rest are parts.

I should have discussed version info with you earlier, I am running 11.00A. Is that an acceptable version for you?

Also how do you want the data, I can put up the PKG file or the SD files. The PKG is 82MB and the total for the SD files is 182MB.

I will be able to put these on our ftp site when I know what data you want. (I have room for both) Also, I can put the files in an area that will require a password (to be sent via e-mail) if you want to protect this info, let me know.

If you are limited for memory, you might want the parts so that you could work with them in groups and not be forced to load the whole thing at once.

Neat diversion from the daily grind.

Bob Zajeski
10-22-2002, 11:54 AM
Wow, is right. I'm running 11.6. Put the package file on your FTP and I'll pull it down. Hopefully I can pull it up on my system....Many Thanks!

jbruce
10-22-2002, 12:54 PM
Bob

I will send you an e-mail with the info about the ftp site I will put the file on.

I do not want to publish it in an open forum.

Hope you can get it loaded.

John

Bob Zajeski
10-22-2002, 01:21 PM
O.K...Thanks again

jbruce
10-23-2002, 06:06 AM
Bob

I attempted to send e-mail to you at your zetaeng address, but it keeps bouncing back. I just sent another message using the send an e-mail feature from this forum, but I do not know if it got to you.

If you have not seen any messages by the time you read this, please send me an e-mail so I can get the ftp info to you via a reply.

John