PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the Remote Server Update module?

May Kung
01-30-2003, 12:05 PM
I saw in this month's CoCreate newsletter about how to use the Remote Server Update module to send off a drawing update to another computer. Has anyone here tried this? Is the module part of the standard OSD Modeling package (sounds like it is)? Can the Dispatcher be the same as the Server?

It's a really neat feature that I'd love to try out.

tom kirkman
01-31-2003, 09:54 AM
We use dispatcher all of the time. You can use the dispatcher also as a server. We also have several machines with dual processors. We use these as servers and for OSDM at the same time.

As an added benefit, each views seems to be updated far faster than doing a view locally.

I recomend increasing the available memory in the pesd_server_customize file to at least 500.

Good Luck

Tom

May Kung
01-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Hmm. My next problem would be finding a spare station to use as a server/dispatcher. We don't have any dual-processor stations to do something like this (I thought OSD wasn't optimized to take advantage of a dual-processor setup?), but I might be able to persuade management to get a shared station for something like this.

tom kirkman
01-31-2003, 11:25 AM
You are right, OSDM is not optimized for dual processors, wich leaves aprox 50% of your resources (1 processor) for use as a server. Basically, you will be running to instances of soliddesigner. The one for the server does not use any licenses.