PDA

View Full Version : ME10 to PDF file conversion

Joe Caron
04-26-2000, 02:56 AM
I figured I should be a little more descriptive of exactly what I'm trying to accomplish with the .MI to .PDF conversion macro. We are a manufacturing company that has a great number of drawings created on ME10 and saved in the .MI format. We are looking to use the .PDF file format to save the files and allow the rest of the company that is not running ME10 to view and print these files using Adobe Acrobat. We are running ME10 version 8.70e on NT workstations. I'm currently in search of a macro that will do the following: 1. Automatically load a drawing from a directory of ME10 drawings. 2. Convert the file to PDF format using Adobe Acrobat version 4.0. 3. Save the file with the same file name a the ME10 file. 4. Automatically load the next drawing and repeat the process until all drawings in the directory have been converted. I would be happy with all or bits and pieces of this macro if possible. Thanks, Joe

Bernfried Epting
04-27-2000, 01:20 AM
In our company we have also a great number of MI-drawings. The rest of our company is viewing and printing the drawings without ME10 using the MI-file. We are using Sung-Woo's View-Advisor (http://www.sws.co.kr/english/welcome.htm). This Viewer shows the MI-Files in ME10-quality. It also prints ME10-Quality. So we need not to convert all files and the other are viewing always the newest file.

Zygo Corporation
05-01-2000, 07:15 AM
Our company is also seeking exactly the same ME10-to-PDF conversion functionality as Joe describes above.

Andree Dittrich
05-29-2000, 04:23 PM
Think your problem isn't ME10. To do load and print in a loop is easy. We do that on HP-UX and create PDF-Files automatically with the Acrobat Distiller. But Windows NT? If you can print in a Postscript-File without the dialog of the Print manager, you have won.

Dave Halseth
06-26-2000, 08:24 AM
Yes, we too are looking to make .pdf files, we are on NT. We can make the .pdf printer the default for the workstation in question, I'm not sure about automating the generation of file names in the distiller's .pdf dialog box. But automating the rest of the project would reduce the number of keystrokes and reduce the chances of mistakes. Where do I get the macro?

Bob Swartz
08-14-2000, 11:20 PM
are you still looking for a macro to create PDF's? If so I may be able to help you.

Guy Thompson
12-05-2000, 06:46 PM
Our company is also looking for a way for converting ME10 to PDF files. So if any one could help, then I would be very very grateful!!

Milos Jez
12-23-2000, 09:27 PM
ME10 8.0 macros

Gregory Hurst
05-31-2001, 05:33 AM
For your problem: Look up how to automate acrobat 4 to plot pdf images to the same file location every time. It's a registry hack. Use the catalog command in me10 to get a listing of files. Load one, plot it using the Acrobat PDFWriter printer driver, copy the generated pdf to the correct name & location, repeat for each drawing in the list. For everybody else's problem: We have a product written using the C-API that we call our docserver. It runs as a windows application that polls the WorkManager database and performs certain functions. It can do many things, among them are sending emails and converting me10 files to pdf. <BR><BR> The way it works is this. Setup - your WorkManager database has many documents with an mi file attached. In WorkManager a request is added to our queue class. The docserver continuously polls this class and when it finds an entry, it will extract the mi file from the database, generate a pdf, and attach it back to the same $doc element. Queue entries can be added on certain events, such as a status change, or can set up to add a request whenever the user presses a button.

Gregory Hurst
05-31-2001, 05:34 AM
Sorry, bad formatting on that last post.<BR><BR> For your problem:<BR> Look up how to automate acrobat 4 to plot pdf images to the same file location every time. It's a registry hack. Use the catalog command in me10 to get a listing of files. Load one, plot it using the Acrobat PDFWriter printer driver, copy the generated pdf to the correct name & location, repeat for each drawing in the list. <BR><BR> For everybody else's problem:<BR> We have a product written using the C-API that we call our docserver. It runs as a windows application that polls the WorkManager database and performs certain functions. It can do many things, among them are sending emails and converting me10 files to pdf. <BR><BR> The way it works is this. Setup - your WorkManager database has many documents with an mi file attached. In WorkManager a request is added to our queue class. The docserver continuously polls this class and when it finds an entry, it will extract the mi file from the database, generate a pdf, and attach it back to the same $doc element. Queue entries can be added on certain events, such as a status change, or can set up to add a request whenever the user presses a button.

Ray Dauphinais
06-01-2001, 10:27 AM
<HTML> <FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="1" COLOR="#1B1B1B"> The ME10 solution you describe Gregory looks fine on paper<BR> but in practice is full of problems. <BR> <BR> Anyone needing a ready-made ME10-to-PDF solution should go to:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.nethut.net/me10" TARGET="_BLANK">www.nethut.net/me10</A>&nbsp;and take a look at <B>PDFA</B>ssistant. <BR> <BR> <B>PDFA</B> manages ANSI and ISO formats and outputs them in both<BR> the correct size and orientation and with the correct filename. </FONT> </HTML>