PDA

View Full Version : Tip: Disable "Mouse Pointer Shadow"

John Scheffel
01-14-2003, 08:09 AM
This is covered in the CoCreate graphics card web pages, but since I just encountered it again on 2 laptops I thought I would post it here.

Whenever you setup Modeling or SolidDesigner on a PC running Windows 2000, you might want to disable the "pointer shadow" for the mouse. Having this new Windows 2000 "feature" enabled (the default) causes a variety of problems running Modeling with several graphics cards. Unless you have some reason to leave it enabled, it might be a good idea to just disable it whenever you install Modeling on a PC.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel
Double click the Mouse icon
Open the Pointers tab.
Uncheck the "Enable pointer shadow" box.
Click OK or Apply

This change doesn't prompt you to reboot, but I have found that sometimes the problems with Modeling won't go away until after a reboot.

May Kung
01-14-2003, 02:00 PM
We have to do this with an older system running SD 9 also, as leaving the shadow enabled causes trails to follow the mouse cursor. Apparently we'll still need to enable this once we upgrade to OSD 11.

clausb
01-16-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by May Kung
Apparently we'll still need to enable this once we upgrade to OSD 11.

The mouse cursor problems are not a problem in OSDM, but in the graphics driver; therefore, you'll get the same problem in all versions of OSDM, obviously.

As John already pointed out, this problem mostly occurs on older hardware. We haven't seen this kind of issue since a while when certifying new hardware.

Claus

May Kung
01-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Hmm. Maybe something I can use to persuade management to let us upgrade that shared station with something more recent? ;)