PDA

View Full Version : 3D data

rr79
03-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Is there anyway outside of a PDM system provided by cocreate, to keep file directory path information with saved assemblies??

I mean how do you share a libary of 3D data parts without losing any relational data with the orginal parts??

For example: I want to save all my std part assy in a different folder than my top assemblies, but I can not becuase I have I'm forced to save all my part in one directory together???:mad: :mad:

Steve
03-13-2003, 06:00 AM
Hi RR!

I wondered the same thing after getting back from training.

My instructor thought that there was a way, as he thought some companies were using Solid Designer without a PDM system, but he did not go into specifics about how to achieve it.

The way I read it, if you save 3D data out all of the components for an assembly must be in the same directory. I do not know how one can move components into, say, "released" or "standard hardware" directories and have the assembly still find them.

In Unigraphics, one can define "search directories" that tells the system where to go to look for components. In fact, you have 3 options in Unigraphics: "As Saved", which tells the assembly to go look for the components where they last were (and at the same revision level they were), "From Directory", which tells the assembly to look for its components in the same directory as the assembly file itself, and "Search Directories", whereby you tell the system which directories to look in to find the components.

When using "From Directory" or "Search Directories" you can also specify "load latest" which tells the system if there are multiple versions of the same component in a directory to load the latest version.

I have no idea how to manage 3D data outside of a PDM system - but I still have no idea how to manage it (and drawings) within Work Manager, either! :)

Steve

gmatelich
03-13-2003, 10:20 AM
This question may get a bigger audience and more ideas in the Modeling forum. Most people in this forum already have PDM.

Greg Gonzales
04-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by rr79
Is there anyway outside of a PDM system provided by cocreate, to keep file directory path information with saved assemblies??

OSDD does remember where you load files from, and you can configure where they get stored too. The problem is that when you use the file browser to select file names to load or store, there is no path information included in the string that is passed on.

The workaround if you want to include path information is to enter your path/filename directly into to prompt line surrounded by double quotes like so:

"/partslib/mypart.sdpc"
"../../screws/screw1.sdpc"
"sub_dir/anotherpart.sdpc"
"G:/parts/mypart.sdpc"

Notice that each of these examples go straight for the contents files. This is what is important for Assemblies. Also note that the "/" is used regardless of whether you are in Unix or Windows.

You can examine and change the path/filename that will be stored in an assembly by using the Options button on the Save dialog. To change the destination of a subcomponents contents file, just double-click it and then type the path into the command line.

One way to cut down on the re-typing of these path names for your library parts is to load your parts at the root level. Then save both an instance and contents file; with the contents file using the path name you desire. Then if people use the browser to load the instance file, the long path name to the contents file stored in the instance file will still be remembered as you share into subsequent assemblies. Just do not edit the Contents ID; this resets the stored contents file name to a local default.