PDA

View Full Version : Twin monitors - comments please.

tim heeney
03-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Hello all.

Has anyone tried using OSD modeling with twin monitors. Opinions +/- on usage please.

Thanks alot.

gmatelich
03-10-2003, 05:58 PM
The only experience I have is a guy in our office had two monitors run off of two graphics cards. OSD doesn't support dual monitors, so he ran OSD in one monitor, and email, WM, etc. in the other. Because (I'm assuming) of the low end second card, he couldn't see his cursor in the second monitor in the area that corresponded to the OSD viewport in the main monitor. Despite the bugs he liked the set up.

clausb
03-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Why do you say that OSDM doesn't support twin monitors? In fact, we do, and have tested OSDM with a few dual-head configurations, especially on the Windows platform.

Claus

gmatelich
03-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Perhaps, I'm mis-informed and it does support dual monitor, and just don't know the switch. What I'm refering to is being able to have an entire monitor available for the viewport only and be able to set up the menus and toolbars in the other monitor.

Rich Keley
03-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Howdy,

I'm new to the forum. Coincidentally, this topic is exactly the question I have.

I am currently running OSD on dual screens off a Compaq laptop (2.4 GHz PIV, 1 GB mem). It does in fact work as one big screen. You can stretch the model window across the screens, put tool bars where ever you want, etc.

However, when you restart OSD the location of all the tool bars changes so that they are all touching the main screen. You have to reposition them each time you restart OSD. This is drag.

Is there some way for OSD to remember the location of the tool bars? Other windows applications can do this across multiple screens. If the screen isn't present, the application will simply colapse the windows down to what ever screens are available.

It would also be nice to be able to specify, maybe via an environment file, multiple different setups. I some times run the laptop as just a laptop with one screen and I would like to be able to specify a different menu configuration for that circumstance.

Thanks.

Rich Kelley

clausb
03-12-2003, 12:51 AM
OSDM does run on dual-head systems and works fine. We do not officially support all available configurations out there, but then, we don't support all available graphics card in the world, either.

Rich's observation might be just another instance of the "maximized main window" issue which we had in some versions of OSDM. Rich, are you using a maximized window? Try un-maximizing the main window, resizing it to "almost full screen" manually, moving the toolbars, then restarting. Do the toolbars still move?

Claus

Rich Keley
03-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Claus,

Thanks for your reply.

The toolbars still move even if the main window in not maximized. However, a fairly easy work around seems to be to put the all the menus in screen #1 and the modeling window in screen #2. All the windows are touching screen #1 (in the case of the modeling window just a little) and OSD doesn't move the windows.

This works for me, though it would be nice if things always stayed where they were put.

Rich

tim heeney
03-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Claus, Rich and gmatelich.
Appreciate all your comments. I'll go for another 21inch 2nd hand screen and ignore the accountant!
Report back with any findings.
ps. Using Nvidia 900XGL card.-It's a very good and not expensive now either.