View Full Version : Question about queries with Work Manager

Steve
03-05-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi all!

I have a question. The Work Manager documentation says:

Using Queries
Listing Items by Running a Query
To run a query:

On the main menu, press Query, select the type of query, then select the query from the cascading menu.

The results are displayed in the query results table. If the query will return a large number of elements, it may take a moment to run.

When I click on Query -> Show -> Documents

It appears to launch the query editor rather than run any query showing me documents in the database.

Any ideas?

Steve

Steve
03-05-2003, 06:21 AM
I think I figured it out. When you click on Query -> Show and the list of queries drops down, you should click on the text portion of the query to launch that particular query (i.e. parts, documents, etc.) and not the white box to the right of the text. Clicking on the box launches the query editor, instead of runs the query.

The queries seem to run very slowly though. I clicked on Query -> Show -> Documents and it's been going for 5 minutes. How long is typical?

Steve

lfortner
03-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Hey Steve,

Out-of-the-box, the query "Documents" searches for all documents in the database, that means for all classes belonging to the $DOC superclasses, with no other restriction. And depending on your database content, you server, network and client activities, etc. it could take time to bring back to you just a truncated list (client truncates results to some default value like 200) of the whome expected result.
Using the query editor, you may add your own restrictions, like specifying just one class or a limited set of, attributes values (with ou without wildcards) then selecting just the display attributes you would like to see. Narrowing search by this way could decrease dramatically your response time.
If such a query is recurrent, the query editor allows you to store the query as a customization file you may input later on.
Then, let's have a look to the query stored file, and you will discover more way to perform some customization to fulfill your needs.
Enjoy