PDA

View Full Version : Model Manager & Project Data Manager

jmobley
02-10-2003, 06:10 AM
I tried posting this on the Data Management Forum and received no response so I'll try it again here:

We are looking into Model Manager and Project Data Manager. Any comments on how well this software has worked for people using it would be helpful.

Has it been relatively easy to implement and use (claimed to be "out of the box ready")?

Has it saved time and aggravation?

Any difficulties or issues?

Any Return on Investment studies?

Are most companies using some form of Work Manager, Design Data Management, Model Manager, Project Data Manager?

Or are you just using Solid Designer without any additional file managers?

Thanks.

May Kung
02-10-2003, 10:24 AM
We use Work Manager in conjunction with Solid Designer and Annotation, though we only use it as a vault for our CAD files and don't use any of the BOM or packet routing features. I estimate we've used it for 3 years now. It's been very good with helping us standardize on one centralized location to easily find files, plus helps our documentation group with revision control. It also makes it easier to share parts between projects, since the parts are easier to find.

I look forward to when we finally migrate to OSD 11.6 and go to Model Manager. The current WM client is a bit clunky to use, but serviceable.

Lance Bennett
02-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Having used Model Manager and Design Manager I must say that I believe Model Manager is a great improvement in ease-of-use. I have been using/administering Design Manager for just over a year, and the Model Manager interface would have saved me many hours in training and resolving problems.Most of these problems originated from users not using the software correctly.

Model Manager has been very easy to deploy, but this is relative to your knowlege of the server and client operating systems. My knowledge of HP-UX is far from adequate but my IT department was very helpful. If you are familiar with Windows OS's and are using a Windows server you should not find it very difficult to get going.

I would highly recommend both Administrator training and end user training when you get started. Using a datbase can be very complicated. If you use the software the way it was intended, it works great. If you deviate from the intended usage, you may find yourself doing some extra work.

Most groups within my company have used WorkManager. Many different methods of storing data both during the design phase and in production phase have been used, depending on the business rules applied.

I will try to post an update on Project Data Manager (PjDM) when I have completed my installation. I previously used v 11.0 and was not very happy with it. I have been assured that many of the problems have been resolved for v 11.6.

My apologies for the verbose response! :eek:

May Kung
02-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Lance Bennett
Having used Model Manager and Design Manager I must say that I believe Model Manager is a great improvement in ease-of-use. I have been using/administering Design Manager for just over a year, and the Model Manager interface would have saved me many hours in training and resolving problems.Most of these problems originated from users not using the software correctly.

Good to hear that Model Manager is much easier to use. The first time I saw the demo I was sold. I have to agree about the part regarding many problems with Work Manager due to users not using the software correctly. I have found it to be quite picky about doing things "just so." Deviating from what we know works (learned by trial-and-error!) has resulted in very bizarre behavior.

Lance Bennett
02-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by May Kung
Good to hear that Model Manager is much easier to use. The first time I saw the demo I was sold. I have to agree about the part regarding many problems with Work Manager due to users not using the software correctly. I have found it to be quite picky about doing things "just so." Deviating from what we know works (learned by trial-and-error!) has resulted in very bizarre behavior.

I too learned by trial and error, and I do not recommend it :mad: ! Training (not just MM, but using a database in general) is very important (I am scheduling classes for my users PRIOR to introducing Model Manager) and I wish I did it sooner. Beware issues with video drivers - the java interfaces like to have the latest drivers. The other thing I failed to mention is if you have an existing database and have performed customizations, they can be tricky to port into Model Manager. At this time I do not believe that CoCreate wishes to support very much customization to Model Manager (MM) or PjDM.
The support people have been very helpful :D (and tolerant) !

May Kung
02-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Lance Bennett
I too learned by trial and error, and I do not recommend it :mad: ! Training (not just MM, but using a database in general) is very important (I am scheduling classes for my users PRIOR to introducing Model Manager) and I wish I did it sooner. Beware issues with video drivers - the java interfaces like to have the latest drivers. The other thing I failed to mention is if you have an existing database and have performed customizations, they can be tricky to port into Model Manager. At this time I do not believe that CoCreate wishes to support very much customization to Model Manager (MM) or PjDM.
The support people have been very helpful :D (and tolerant) !

I have to train the users here on how to use WM, but since I don't have any formal training myself, it's things I've learned painfully, or via attending the local User Group Meetings. We are planning on providing training for a few key users for MM, maybe 10% of the users only, but I don't think it will be until after we migrate.

I'll keep in mind the bit about video drivers and Java updates (well, I'll pass it on to the sysadmin; he's going to have to deal with that stuff :)).