PDA

View Full Version : adding threaded hole feature

gmatelich
01-06-2003, 09:58 AM
I am getting good use out of the Tapped Holes tools under Machining, but womder about more control over the holes. For example, I'm trying to do a through hole that is partially tapped on both ends. I've put in a Partially Threaded Through Hole, but am unable to add threads to the other end. Is there a way to do this?

I can't find these maching tools in the Modeling Main Tasks toolbar; I'm just not seeing it, or has it not been added yet? It's not too important to me, since I have it docked on my Browser Bar anyway - just curious.

For most - if not all - of my threaded holes, I'm not interested in validation and frequent re-validation of my tapped holes. Can I turn that off?

tom kirkman
01-06-2003, 10:21 AM
The integration kit has a tool for defining threads thread_funct_lsp. This will let you define threads. I have written several tools that use this feature to automate adding threaded holes. If you are interested, email me.

Hope this helps

Tom

fox-myers
01-07-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by gmatelich
I can't find these maching tools in the Modeling Main Tasks toolbar; I'm just not seeing it, or has it not been added yet? It's not too important to me, since I have it docked on my Browser Bar anyway - just curious.
The Main Modeling Tasks Toolbar (aka Icon Toolbar) has only been configured to work with the following modules:

OSDM- base module
-Surfacing
-3D Docs
Annotation
Sheet Metal
Mold Base
Mold Design

So if you activate the Machining or Simplification modules, you will NOT be able to access commands for these modules through the default Icon Toolbar. But you can modify your Icon Toolbar to include tasks from ANY module. I added a drop down menu for Machining commands to mine. This menu only includes a few commands like Create Pattern, Copy Machining Feature, Delete Machining Feature and a link to the actual Machining Menu. Like you mentioned, docking the Custom Process Browser and just create tapped holes from there is easy and fast to do.

Your through hole that is tapped at both ends is NOT available through the standard Machining module. Please make sure to submit this as an ER to Support. Also I do not believe that there is a way to turn off the automatic (re)validate checks. Is this having a significant impact on your performance?

gmatelich
01-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by fox-myers
Also I do not believe that there is a way to turn off the automatic (re)validate checks. Is this having a significant impact on your performance?

The only impact on performance is having to close the notifcation window that pops up. Being told that a feature has been invalidated but has been revalidated is wasted information. Soon I ignore all such notifications, then if there were a real warning I would miss it.