PDA

View Full Version : Annotation to ME10 - Drawing Scale

gmatelich
12-24-2002, 09:42 AM
I created a drawing in Annotator, changed the sheet scale to 2:1, loaded it in ME10, and found the scale is 1:1 with the parts set at 2:1. So my drawing frame says 1:1 when everything is really drawn at 2:1. Back in Annotation I can't seem to change the drawing scale, only the sheet scale, which doesn't seem to do me any good in ME10.
How do I get out of this mess?

gmatelich
12-24-2002, 11:11 AM
I created another drawing that from the start has a scale of 6:1. It still loads in ME10 with a scale of 1:1.
:mad:

stefano_ME30
12-24-2002, 02:18 PM
wow we r not alone in this issue!!!

U r right it seems bad to us too, before in 10.50 and SD7 we had one scale for drawings and one scale for sheet and views, now it seems ME10 doesnt care about the drawing scale but only views scale r working and it seems not so right to us.
If u make a Annotator drawing scaled 1:2 it will show in 1:1 in ME10, but with all view scaled to 1:2 :(

P.S.:we r discovering it right now and not sure if it is our wrong.

Michel Gendron
12-26-2002, 05:43 AM
Bonjour!
I don't understand why you want to scale a sheet. The frame you use is suppose to be the paper size you want to use to print it. All you text is set to have a paper size of something between 2 and 3.5mm.

The scale you see in your frame is just a reader helper. This is the default view scale. If a view use an other scaling factor, you will see it below the view.

Using a "real" sheet scale in annotation will break the logic behind the "paper space". I mean, you choose on which paper size you want to print, than you scale views to make them fit in the frame...

As I say, I may miss something here. I really don't see the usage of a sheet scale. If you scale the frame, that mean you will need to scale it back to print on the right paper size?

Michel

gmatelich
12-26-2002, 08:31 AM
Michel,
You're right, we are trying to do exactly as you say: The drawing frame size does not change, just the scale of the views. We have the view labels for standard views changed to a non-printing color, because they rarely carry any useful information. Even so, we also have the scale set to automatic, so that the view scale only shows if that view differs from the sheet view.
The only problem we have is that in ME10 when the frame updates it does not show the sheet scale (it doesn't work in Annotator either, but we don't print from Annotator yet). Most likely we need to change the way that scale is updated in the frame.

Wolfgang
01-11-2003, 08:28 AM
with respect to your other postings I assume you are using DDM, too. So the way your drawings are going is:

OSDAM -> DDM -> 2DDrafting (and same back)

right? Just to make it clear. - ok

OSDAM:

drawing 1:1
one sheet scaled to 1:2
one view on that sheet "view1" scale 1:1
one view on that sheet "view2" scale 1:2
one view on that sheet "view5" scale 1:5

store and load into ME10. What scale(s) do you see where? .. After ME10 recognized the AM-Drawing!

Do you have activated the ME10's Titleblock referencing? I assume you have.. :(

gmatelich
03-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Yes Wolfgang you're clear, if by DDM you mean WorkManager Desktop.

I guess there's a little getting used to the sheet concept and the view concept. In ME10, we've used Drawing Scale as the scale of the drawing, and most views were in Top level.

Now we make some of our single sheet drawings in Annotator. Here's a likely scenario of getting a drawing whose scale causes us problems:

Click "New Drawing"

No change to the Number field since it's seemingly meaningless information - particularly since we use Desktop.

No change to Scale since I usually don't know right away and it's usually an iterative process.

Make a guess at Sheet Frame, since it's usually a closer guess than Scale.

Select Owner, Front Dir, and Up Dir

Update View -> Drawing
Change Sheet Scale (since there's no option for changing Drawing Scale)
Change Scale of each view, since Annotator doesn't automatically do that for me, and, as before, we usually have all views the same scale.
Dimension, etc.
Save to WM (DDM).
Load in ME10

In ME10 the drawing scale in the Status Bar shows 1.

We have title block referencing with links to WM, but the drawing frame the scale shows 1 because it we have a macro that inquires the drawing scale and edits text on the frame.

I understand there is a Sheet Scale reference I could add to the drawing frame, but does that work in ME10 too?

ChrisE
03-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Looks like the macro inquiring the drawing scale and updating the text references (or editing the text in the tb) does not know how to handle SDAnno drawings.

You can use the macro
Check_for_annotation_drawing
to check for SDAnno drawings. A global variable "Annotation_drawing" will then be set to 0 or 1.

Now you have different options:
A)
Annotation drawings have a global info string 'DOCU_DRAWING_SCALE:......'
==> Inquire the list of global info strings, and use the information in this info string

B)
Inquire the part size of the first sheet underneath '/' (a part with an info text "DOCU_SHEET")
==> Go through the children of the top part, look for a part with the info string "DOCU_SHEET", and inquire its part scale

C)
Inquire the part scale of the e.g. front view (a part containing the info string
'SD_VIEW_TYPE: FRONT')
==> Find the sheet part (see B), then go through the list of its children parts, look for a part with the info string "SD_VIEW_TYPE: FRONT", and inquire its part scale

Hope this can be of any help ...

gmatelich
03-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Is it possible to have a drawing that just works for both ME10 and Anno?

ChrisE
03-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by gmatelich
Is it possible to have a drawing that just works for both ME10 and Anno?

What do you mean by "just works for both ME10 and Anno" :confused:

gmatelich
03-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Something that doesn't require macros, that I add the appropriate text references to the frame and it fills in the sheet scale?

gmatelich
03-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ChrisE
[Annotation drawings have a global info string 'DOCU_DRAWING_SCALE:......'
==> Inquire the list of global info strings, and use the information in this info string

Is it possible to change the drawing scale in Annotator?

gmatelich
03-11-2003, 05:31 PM
I loaded a drawing from Annotator (that has a sheet scale of 2:1) into ME10, via WM Desktop. According to the ME10 Part Browser, Part '1' has a scale of 1. It's not until I get down to the views, that scale shows up as 2.

Here's the kludgy workaround I've got set up:
DEFINE Fixscale
Check_for_annotation_drawing
IF (Annotation_drawing=1)
TRAP_ERROR
INQ_PART 'front1'
IF (CHECK_ERROR)
TRAP_ERROR
INQ_PART 'left1'
IF (CHECK_ERROR)
TRAP_ERROR
INQ_PART 'right1'
IF (CHECK_ERROR)
TRAP_ERROR
INQ_PART 'top1'
IF (CHECK_ERROR)
DISPLAY 'no scale found'
END_IF
END_IF
LET Annocheck (INQ 904)
IF (Annocheck='SD_FROM_3D')
LET Dscale (INQ 4)
END_IF
END_IF
LET Annocheck (INQ 904)
LET Dscale (INQ 4)
END_IF
END_IF
LET Annocheck (INQ 904)
LET Dscale (INQ 4)
END_IF
ELSE
INQ_ENV 6
LET Dscale (INQ 4)
END_IF
EDIT_PART 'Scale'
IF (Dscale<1)
LET Dscale (1/Dscale)
LET Dscale (Dscale*10)
LET Dscale (TRUNC Dscale)
LET Dscale (Dscale/10)
CHANGE_TEXT ('1/'+(STR Dscale)) ALL
ELSE
LET Dscale (Dscale*10)
LET Dscale (TRUNC Dscale)
LET Dscale (Dscale/10)
CHANGE_TEXT ((STR Dscale)+'/1') ALL
END_IF
Ep Window_fit
END
EDIT_PART TOP
END_DEFINE

The part named 'scale' is a subpart of the drawing frame and all that is in 'scale' is a piece of text that by default says '1/1'. If the drawing is an Annotator draawing, the macro successively checks for parts named 'front1', 'left1', 'right1', and 'top1'. Then checks the part scale and assumes the first match it finds is at the same scale as the drawing, and calculates the drawing ratio, and places that value in the piece of text in 'scale'.

ChrisE
03-14-2003, 03:06 AM
Caution:

INQ 904 gives you the FIRST info string in the list of info strings attached to the part.
As the part is a VIEW, it certainly contains more than one info string.
You cannot rely on the order of the info strings.

So make sure to set up a loop inquiring the list of all info strings of the part until you find the one you are looking for.

mloli
03-14-2003, 08:35 AM
Hi Folks, :D
I try to suggest a work around to "solve" this problem.
I found the same problem when I begun my "experience" with annotation.
I save paper in mi format in annotation (f.e. scale 2:1).
I open this file in ME10.
Now I have a part with 2:1 scale in a top part with 1:1 scale.
I draw a line in top part and after I chang sale of this part (by a selection of the line) from 1:1 to 2:1.
Now I have the top part with the same scale factor of my mi annotation file.
I can explode all part (2:1 views) and have a drawing looks like an me10 file.

Bye

gmatelich
03-14-2003, 09:51 AM
I'm not familiar with info strings and reading from more than one piece. Do you have a snippet I could incorporate in my macro to query all info strings?

Thanks

ChrisE
03-17-2003, 03:03 AM
Attached please find a sample file, with your code a bit reworked.

Haven't tested it, though.

Good luck.

Chris