PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips for HP Omnibook 6000?

John Scheffel
11-22-2002, 03:43 PM
I recently tried to help someone setup OSDM 11.6 on a HP Omnibook 6000. I know it is not supported or certified, but I have set these up before and they work OK. However, this one proved more difficult than most.

After first installing OSDM, we could not even start it. It would post an error message indicating that there was "no Viewport 1" and Hang. At this point we had to kill it.

We tried updating to the latest video driver from the HP web site, but it didn't help.

Next I set PIXEL_FORMAT=SOFTWARE. This usually clears the problems with laptops. After this it will start up, but frequently gets a "frozen viewport" error. Again, this requires killing the OSDM process.

One odd thing about this laptop is that the native screen resolution is 1400x1050. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have never seen a laptop with this resolution. I recommended to the owner that he try 1280x1024 to see if it is more reliable.

If anyone has any tips for getting OSDM to work on a Omnibook 6000, please let me know.

clausb
11-23-2002, 12:03 PM
John,

when a problem occurs on an Omnibook, I usually play with the following settings:

- Updating the driver
- Using Windows 2000 rather than Windows NT
(W2K worked much better for me)
- Changing resolutions
- Forcing OSD into software rendering
mode using PIXEL_SOFTWARE

If that doesn't help, some heavy-duty debugging sessions might become necessary. 8-(

This is one of the problems which prevented certification of those configurations.

Claus

John Scheffel
11-25-2002, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the tips Claus. He is already running Windows 2000 with the latest driver from the HP web site. The one suggestion I didn't try was changing the resolution, but I have recommended to the laptop owner to try it. I haven't heard from him so maybe its a good sign.

Teh Tiack Ein
08-22-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by John Scheffel
He is already running Windows 2000 with the latest driver from the HP web site. The one suggestion I didn't try was changing the resolution, but I have recommended to the laptop owner to try it. I haven't heard from him so maybe its a good sign.

Just would like to share. One of my users encountered exactly the same problem as described by John as above. After forcing OSD into software rendering mode using PIXEL_SOFTWARE and updating all the patches of W2K Omnibook 6000's driver as URL below, the error disappeared.

http://h20004.www2.hp.com/soar_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix31762en_US.html

Thanks for the tips!