Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Huge assembly

Hi all
I'm using CoCreate 17 on XP 64 with 8 GbRam
My assembley has now 260 Mbyte in pkg format

Can anyone some idea how can mange it ?
partial load is not a solution.
I need very powerful tool to load my assembly in light mode.

Some idea ??

thank you
best regards
Old 03-03-2011, 04:16 AM

Re: Huge assembly

Are you using ModelManager at all?

We also have very large assemblies, some that approach 1/2 gig as a package file. We have 64 bit machines which take advantage of all of our memory.

However; we use modelmanager, we do partial loads as required or light weight loads. Many of our machines have 8gb and we manage ok with these. Others have 12gb and do better.

If you can do nothing else, increase to 12 gb.

regards
Tom

Creo Elements/Direct 20.1
Dell Precision 3581
https://www.o-i.com
Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM

You can brute force it with more RAM, but, when you load that much data, you slow everything down, no matter how much RAM you have.

Package files exist for user convienience. All a package file does, is take all the individual 3D Data files, compress them, and bundle them up into one tidy file.

ModelManager is the real answer. Rarely, do you need to load the entire assembly, just to work on a small part of it. Not only that, ModelManager will allow you to reuse models. How many of the parts you are working on will be used in another project?
If you work with packages, you will not be able to leverage your existing data. You will have multiple versions of the same part. If you need to modify that part, you will need to open every package that part is in, and make the identical change.

ModelManager will pay for itself......quickly.

If ModelManager is not an option, consider saving as 3D Data. At least that way, you can load and work on smaller chunks of the entire Assembly.
Some users even find schemas to use common parts in different projects without using ModelManager. Before you go that route, you need to ask them what happens when they load an assembly containing parts used in another project and a part cannot be found because someone moved that part to a new location in the file system.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:43 PM

Hi,
The whole model size is one factor. Using Model Manager there is another one: the number of parts, or elements in the structure. Downloading a large assembly from Model Manager database results in a huge number of individual files to be downloaded. I believe the number of files is 3 or 4 more the number of elements (models, model metadata, masterdata metadata, etc.). Then you could have a network traffic bottleneck. I recommend to switch off your antivirus for the special directory where those files are downloaded during the process
Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 AM

Model Manager will be a big help. It has been my observation that MM has been priced very competitively. I would get a quote for SolidWorks ePDM and then make sure that MM is priced less, but as long as the pricing is good I would recommend using it. Whatever you do, however, do not customize it's java code...good luck
Old 03-14-2011, 01:16 PM

I assume you are having performance issues . . . ?
I have Win7 64 bit 6 GB laptop and regularly work with projects whose package file is 300-400 MB, though I rarely have the whole model active in the viewport at the same time. In addition to ModelManager, perhaps you need to bump up your video card performance, and/or look at using configurations or AI MAX ViewHQ to quickly manage what is active in your viewport.

Last edited by gmatelich; 03-15-2011 at 07:15 AM.